Several original Batavia manufactured windmills have
been located, purchased, renovated, and erected along the Batavia
The Model E
windmill displayed on the Riverwalk, is patriotically depicted
in red, white, and blue colors so often favored by the U.S.
Wind Engine & Pump Company. The wood that forms the red
tower-within-a-tower was cut from telephone poles in order
to support the massive fourteen-foot diameter solid-wheel
design wooden wheel.
The Riverwalk exhibit currently has seven examples of Batavia manufactured
windmills. Most manufacturers are represented with a selection of
Models and dates of production. All of the windmills are accompanied
by a plaque with the history of the manufacturer and the particular
model represented. Come take a walk on the Batavia
Riverwalk to see these beauties operating as the
day they were first erected.
Halliday Vaneless Windmill -
Donated by the Swanson Family in Memory of Aurthur Swanson
Challenge Vaneless "Model 1913"
Challenge "OK" Model Windmill
- manufactured from 1885-1914
Challenge Steel Windmill
- manufactured from 1906-1927
Goodhue Special Windmill
- manufactured from 1902-1927
Model "E" Windmill
- first invented in 1867
Challenge 27 Windmill
- manufactured from 1927-1942